Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Marriage Arrangements

April, 1940 is the month quoted by both Dad and Grandma Garcia (aka Otilia in the US) when they took their vows at Templo Santa Ana, near one of the main streets in the colonial city of Durango, Mexico. The year he passed away, the 64th anniversary went by, not celebrated as most anniversaries went unmentioned except for the 50th, at which time a party was held at Carl and Marie's home. Templo Santa Ana, the old church in the background, was built at least a couple hundred years ago from what I recall on a plaque when I saw it with my parents in 1994.

Wondering how this unlikely marriage occurred, as my father was 10 years older and had a reserved nature compared to mom, I was able to glean this much. They met at a party in Durango which my mom attended because she had befriended one of his cousins. This person was a sister to Lucita Avalos, future wife of art professor at Escuela Normal de Durango (Rodrigo Avalos). I mentioned Rodrigo because he was a friend of my father's and his paintings and prints can be found in many local legends books sold at bookstores in Durango.

My mom was visiting for at least a week, and wrote her mom asking if she could stay longer. In short order, they fell in love and decided to get married but the marriage bans at that time could take months to set. Instead, they had a civil marriage first thinking this would be fine so they could be together. Dad did not take into account how strict and religious Mama Felipita was, so she made my mom live with her and kept them living apart until the marriage bans were complete, a dress was made, and so her family could make it to Durango for the wedding. It was a simple ceremony at Templo Santa Ana (according to my mom). They had a small celebration afterwards of family and a few neighbors.

No comments: